Millions of people around the world experience Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease every waking day of their lives. GERD brings Bitter mouth
taste, severe coughing and painful sore throat and fatigue, which is one of the most annoying feelings you can have when you wake up.
This disease can cause severe nighttime heartburn which can really give you a disturbing sleep and stress, thus resulting to inability to
function well the next day.
If you are one of the millions who suffer from this condition, well you better find relief for this illness, as enduring the pain can bring
you more health complications in the long run.
The best way to avoid GERD is to stay away from the things that trigger heartburn for you. Below is a list of 12 food and drinks to avoid for
a better and sound sleep.
1. Limit your intake of acidic foods. This includes grapefruits, tomatoes, oranges and vinegar.
2. Spicy foods can give you heartburn; avoid putting peppers or chilies in your food.
3. Gravity helps in pulling the food you ingested on its right place. Sitting up straight helps drain acid and food into your stomach.
Thus, it is very important to not lie down for at least 2 hours after eating a meal.
4. Choose lean meats over fatty foods. Fried and greasy foods can activate heartburn. Avoid eating too much cheeseburgers and French
5. Also, cut your chocolate, citrus, mint, catsup and mustard intake.
6. Avoid beverages that trigger heartburn such as drinks with caffeine like coffee, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages like beer.
Alcohol has high tendency to relax your esophageal sphincter, causing GERD to attack.
7. Do not eat fast and do not over eat. Eat smaller meals and chew you food properly to avoid stomach problems like indigestion.
8. Eat your meals at least 2 hours before going to sleep. Skip bedtime snacks.
Remembering these things can greatly minimize the chance of having a heartburn attack, giving you a sound sleep and good rest.
The way you live your day can also trigger the things that cause gastroesophageal reflux disease. Thus, lifestyle plays a big role in your
health. Knowing the things that causes you GERD can be very helpful to minimize the occurrence and severity of attacks. Below is the list of
things you can do everyday to avoid potential GERD attacks.
1. Avoid wearing tight clothes and things that can press your stomach. Tight belts, waistbands, tight jeans and pantyhose can trigger
2. Make your day less stressful. Try to take few minutes to rest your body and mind like taking a break and stretching your muscles.
Stress increases production of stomach acids, triggering heartburn symptoms.
3. Obese individuals are more susceptible to this disease. Those people with excess weight have bigger chance for production of stomach
acid, this acid will back up to the esophagus causing heartburn. Try to lose weight by minimizing your food intake and exercise.
4. If you often experience heartburn every night, try chewing gum. This will increase your production of saliva. Saliva is good for
neutralizing stomach acids.